Adult Coloring Books: The how, the why and free samples to try!
Adults don’t have to hide at home to color (anymore!): Everyone loves to color, from children to adults, but sometimes adults are sheepish to admit it. No need to be anymore! Adult coloring is very much en vogue. Everyone is talking about the benefits of adult coloring for its creative outlet, its calming effects, relaxation, and as a form of meditation. You’ve probably already noticed adult coloring books at local stores and all over social media. My adult coloring book, Life’s Little Luxuries is available from Amazon and I’ve provided some free samples in this post (keep reading) so you can give it a try right away and see for yourself how great it can be.
With a few tips and tools to stimulate your imagination, the pages of my Pop Art-themed Adult Coloring Book will set you off down the path of turning the ordinary into the extraordinary and transforming an assortment of familiar everyday objects into an envious collection of life’s little luxuries.
The goal of my coloring book is to help you connect with your inner artist and become the designer of your pages—and of your life!
POP ART: Pop Art iconifies common objects by dressing them in bright colors and basic shapes; adorning them with patterns of polka dots, stripes and chevrons, and taking them out of the background and placing them front and center. Just like that, the mundane becomes the magnificent! My coloring pages allow you to play the role of artistic designer and embellish images of every day objects—shoes, purses, phone cases, etc.—in bright colors, patterns, textures and doodle. You can even decorate your own Pop Art cake!
Not Like Other Adult Coloring Books: You’ll find my coloring pages to be a unique and contemporary take on adult coloring. The majority of the pages are interactive in nature, allowing you to be the artist casting your unique personality onto each page. As an art educator, I believe in the creativity of children. I also believe in the creativity of adults. You don’t need me (or anyone else) to think for you—you are an artist!
Many of the benefits of coloring are the same for children and adults. However, adults have slightly different needs from a coloring book. Here are several important reasons why adults need coloring books specifically designed for them and how my Pop Art coloring book and free sample coloring pages will help meet those needs.
Top 10 Reasons Why Grown-ups Need Their Own Adult Coloring Books
1. Appropriate subject matter: Adults need subject matter that is appropriate for their interests as an adult. Although we may all have sweet sentiment to the cartoons of our youth that doesn’t necessarily mean we want to sit at the doctor’s office coloring Strawberry Shortcake (if we have a choice!).
2. Small spaces to color: Adults have well developed fine motor skills and therefore need coloring sheets that can challenge them with small spaces. My interactive coloring sheets allow you to create the size of shape that you need to color. I recently had someone tell me they loved my interactive coloring sheets because they are older and have poor vision and the typical super small spaces are too small. With my interactive sheets you can design the shapes and patterns to fit your needs and desires.
3.Using fine muscles in our hands: The fine motor muscles we use for drawing, coloring and writing start to feel weak if they aren’t used regularly. Adult coloring is a great way to keep those muscles strong. Using technology all the time and typing can weaken those muscles.
4. An invitation to color “outside” the lines: Children learn to “stay in the lines” as they are developing. As an adult you’ve earned the right to break the rules—now you get to go outside the lines (figuratively) and express your artistic side. Go for it!
5. The opportunity to integrate creativity into our adult lives: More often than not we associates being “good” or “bad” at art based solely on drawing abilities (or lack there of). This is false. Drawing is simply one of many art skills. Drawing can be learned like any other discipline. And art is much more than drawing. Art serves an important role in our lives to support us as creative thinkers and problem solvers. Creating makes us feel good no matter the form—from art on paper, music, and dance, to building a beautiful piece of architecture—creating helps us thrive as individuals and as a culture.
Art is so much more than drawing and my adult coloring pages are SO much more than just coloring. Use adult coloring sheets to integrate creativity into your life—you’ll never regret it.
6. A way to celebrate our lives in the 21st century: We live in a miraculous time in history and we are blessed beyond measure. What a luxury to have time to sit and color. What a luxury to afford nice art materials to color with. What a luxury to have smartphones, nice shoes, pets, and to go on vacations. I hope my adult coloring book allows you time to reflect and celebrate your beautiful life. Volume 1 of my adult coloring book series is called Life’s Little Luxuries because the compilation of images included in my book bring front and center the every day objects we might take for granted but yet are luxuries to enjoy.
7. Focus on something for ourselves: Much of our adult lives are taken up by spending time and effort in caring for other people. And even when done lovingly, it doesn’t substitute for doing things just for ourselves. Taking a few minutes to stop and smell the roses, or rather, stop and color the roses, can infuse us with good spirit and self-satisfaction which can then lift us up for the rest of our myriad activities in service of others.
8. A time to unwind: With our busy and oftentimes stressful lives, sometimes we need a little time to relax, and mentally unwind. Nothing is better for this than taking a few minutes to think about something completely different and put some color and doodles down on paper and watch a fun design come together.
9. Connect with others. Social media is popular because humans are social beings. We like to connect with others. Connect with other adults on social media who also love coloring by searching hashtags like #adultcoloring #adultcoloringbooks and #coloringisntjustforkids. Hashtag #artwithjennykpopartcoloring with process and finished coloring pages so we can connect. I’d love to see what you create. Find me on Instagram.
10. Avoid becoming a mass murderer: Okay, I’m stretching things a bit, but there have been several scientific research studies which have linked “playing” (which would include coloring) in adults with improved mental health, and one study which even found that of 90% of mass murderers suffered from a lack of playtime. Don’t be one of those people!
Download your Free Samples. If you have never given adult coloring a try it’s time to turn that around. Download a FREE sample of adult coloring sheets HERE to get started right way.
If you are already a believer of the benefits of adult coloring and are looking for a new challenges to stimulate your creativity check out my book on Amazon. My Pop Art Adult Coloring Book has two main sections—beginner pages and advanced interactive pages.
Section 1: Beginner Pop Art Coloring Pages: The first section of my coloring book has 10 beginner Pop Art coloring pages. These 10 pages have patterns, textures and designs on each image. You can color these pages any way that you’d like. Pop Art typically uses bright primary colors—but if you want to use pastels I certainly won’t tell. These 10 beginner pages are designed to give you the confidence to interact with the second section of the book. Here’s a look at some of the beginner pages from section one…
Section 2: Advanced Interactive Pop Art Coloring Pages: The second section of my adult coloring book has 30 coloring pages in my unique, signature interactive Pop Art design. Teachers and students have enjoyed my interactive coloring pages for years using the coloring sheets available in my online store Art with Jenny K. In my adult coloring book there are 30 interactive pages that you finish designing and make exactly the way you want. With the interactive coloring pages I challenge you to add the patterns, shapes, texture, designs and doodles to the basic images I provide. It is on these interactive pages where YOU really get to shine—to take control and become the artist of your own Pop Art creations.
No two people will ever create the same design—each will be unique like the individual that creates them—You!
Take a look at some of these interactive pages…
I’d love to connect with you and see your work so please be sure to use #artwithjennykpopartcoloring on Instagram or other social media accounts so we can connect!
Pop Art Adult Coloring Sheets for Teachers: As an art educator dedicated to art integration in the classroom, I also design interactive coloring sheets for children that are currently in use in classrooms all over the world. But I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard from teachers saying things like,
“I really like these for myself!” or “I MIGHT share them with my kids—maybe!”
So, for this reason (and because of my love and adoration of our hard-working and dedicated
teachers heroes) I have designed some of my adult coloring sheets specifically for teachers. They are FREE – download them HERE. Read more about the theraputic benefits of adult coloring books for teachers at The Corkboard Connection. I hope that everyone is as excited about the many wonderful facets of adult coloring books as I am. But, above all, THE most import thing about adult coloring books is just to have fun!!
Happy coloring (and please share at #artwithjennykpopartcoloring)!